Graduation Party (2011)

Go down

Graduation Party (2011)

Post  smieskes on Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:54 am

Hi Graduands of 2011,

this is the place to discuss the plans & hopes for our Graduation Party. We talked to Tina and she said that the Grad School will probably pay for a dinner (as last year) at the Max Plack House, which was according to her really nice. The party at the "Kellerassel" was paid by the students alone. So to start planing in more detail what is possible and what isn't, we wanna know:

1. What could be improved to lasts years party?
2. What kind of party would you like? Do you want a ceremonial/ official part (with parents?!, and we probably wont get diplomas then, as many of us might not have finished)?
3. Would you want to bring people along to any part of party? Particular would you want to bring parents to the dinner? (As probably not all can invite their parents to Germany, it might be nicer to leave the parents part at all? What do you think?)
4. How much money are you willing to spend on your party? Would you want to rise money somehow?

smieskes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Graduation Party (2011)

Post  Steffen on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:51 am

I don't have too much time right now, but I think I just point out the two most important parts for me:
1. Although the party in the Kellerassel was quite fun, I would prefer a location in which you can actually breath, don't get trouble with neighbors and police, and is accessible for us although we don't live in a special dorm or whatever...
2. I'd like an official part with some short but good/funny talks, maybe from some students but also from a couple of lecturers and/or H.Herbert (rehearsing our time at grad school, some anecdotes etc)...

Steffen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  StefanW on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:53 am

i vote also for an official part perhaps in a restaurant or sth where we can be by ourselves and perhaps order a pre-set menue for everybody and have an official part. doesn't have to be boring and 4h long like in many other graduation parties but some words from us and some lectureres/HH would be nice. afterwards we could change the location and party hard over there. the points mentioned by steffen sound quite reasonable but finding a good one was quite hard as i heard from the guys of last year. we could also think about getting some money from the gradschool/hertie/mpi? i mean a good party would probably make more people to stay in tuebingen for their phd? Very Happy we should think about that, otherwise costlimit will be a big problem!

StefanW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SL on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:52 am

It is important to know what "official" means for the majority of the people. Like Stefan, I find the idea of a formal dinner/dinner party with parting words from Prof Herbert appealing. A graduation ceremony on the other hand would be too grand a gesture. I think one party of two parts: formal dinner (w parents or significant others) continued by crazy stuff in the same venue (excuse parents, involve next year students) a good idea.

SL

SL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:34 am

Hi,
I would like to bring my parents to an official party, where our diplomas are distributed..but like you said, maybe it won't work since not all finish at the same time.

But an official one with nice dresses we could wear would be awesome Smile!

Maybe we could earn the money in some way...baking cakes and selling them at the institutes Smile

Natalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  intirb on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:51 am

some things to keep in mind..

1. we will not be able to get money for the party (as far as i understand it)
2. the grad school will only pay for dinner for the students: all other guests, if even allowed to attend, would have to pay for themselves
3. none of us will have our diplomas in time for the party, so we definitely can't do that

i think there's definitely something nice about a dinner with JUST students..
also i think it'd be awesome if we could somehow get a few people to say some words at the dinner

does anyone want something more official than a dinner with speeches? if so, what would that kind of ceremony involve?

I love you britni

intirb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Amgad D. on Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:54 am

A dinner should be fun, but go easy on the speeches part...!!!
i think only 2-3 speeches are tolerable, otherwise it will become sooo boring.
.. i suggest a speech from HH or other faculty member that they choose ...and a speech from students... and should be voted on who will do it..(ONLY 1)!!
otherwise...too many speeches would suck the life and fun of the party affraid

Amgad D.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  youdid on Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:20 am

I also like the idea of a dinner (without parents, since I guess most would not be able to come anyways) and a party afterwards like last year.
Unfortunately, when I was looking for a place for my birthday party I made the experience that it is quite hard to find a place to rent without having the right connections.

Most of the fraternities do have rooms for parties. Does anyone know people from a fraternity?

The houses in Schellingstraße also do have a party room, but only rent it to residents.
@ Natalie: does your friend or cousin have connections to them?

Kellerassel is closed by the way, but there is another room from the student accomodation in the French quarter. Do not know whether it is nice, but we could aks Leini to have a look at it.

There is also the Hawks club house one can rent. But it was quite expensive, if I remember it right 200 euros (if you want to bring your own drinks), 150 if you take their drinks.
However, if everyone was willing to give e.g. 10-15 euros, we would have a budget of 300-400 euros, which is not that little. What do you think?

best

youdid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smieskes on Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:56 am

To the dinner part. I really like the idea with the parents, I mean, It dosent necessarily mean that all people would bring their parents, but I guess most of us have some people around that they would like to share this special event with, like siblings, grandparents, boy-/girlfriends, bestfried,...

smieskes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AnaLuciaFernandezCruz on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:21 pm

For me it would be perfect if :
1- Everybody is able to invite 1 -3 persons to the dinner organized by the gradschool at the MPI, doesn´t have to be our parents, but best friends, boyfriends, brother , lover or whomever you want. (off course we will assume the costs of that extra invitations).
2- After the dinner there will be a nice party with lots of alcohol in a place big enough that everybody can invite their closest friends >>> Akshay; we won’t be able to invite all Tübingen ; ) >>> As Judith said , if we all pay a reasonable amount of money and decide soon what we want to do, we might be able to find a nice place to celebrate.
cyclops

AnaLuciaFernandezCruz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Please help on the location brain storming!

Post  smieskes on Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Master Students > General > Graduation Party (2011) - Location Brain Storming

smieskes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down